Saturday, July 5, 2008

Obsession!


One of my many obsessions is collecting cookbooks. I really do have a serious problem. I love to go to bookstores and browse the cookbook selections. When we go on vacation, I like to buy a regional cookbook to remember the visit and because they usually contain unique recipes you can't find somewhere else. I am looking forward to my summer trip because I am hoping to come home with at least two new cookbooks from the states we are going through. I check out cookbooks from the library, but then I usually end up purchasing them after I have explored them. I collect recipes from websites and the back of boxes and from other people. Last summer I typed a bunch of my friend Theresa's recipes because she is such an awesome southern cook. I made a new year's resolution to not purchase any more cookbooks since I am running out of room in my kitchen for them. I didn't last very long. I borrowed a cookbook from my sister last night that I am now obsessed with having. My sister just laughed when I asked to borrow it. I have been eyeing it for a while, fingering through everytime I go over there...

4 comments:

Kendra said...

I've got some old cookbooks that my Granma had as a young girl...I think they're extension homemakers cookbooks. I don't collect cookbooks (at least not on purpose, but judging by the number of cookbooks I have, one would think otherwise...), but since these were so old, I wanted them.

Meari said...

LOL, I've got a lot of cookbooks too. Do you actually make food FROM them? I bought a copy of the same cookbook my mom has that I learned to cook from... a 1950's Betty Crocker cookbook. HAD to have it!

Tammy said...

OMG we are so similar in our books, library and cookbooks too. I love to collect cookbooks. The one I really want right now is the HungryGirl cookbook. It was at Costco, but no longer since they are sold out. Darn it.

Have fun with your sister's book!

Jennifer said...

If you don't already own it, The Best Recipe Cookbook by the Editors of Cooks Illustrated is ABSOLUTELY worth jumping off the wagon for. I love, love, love this cookbook. Love it. It has a lot of classic recipes in in and explains a lot of why you have to do what you have to do with certain recipes (like preheating the oven, etc.) Awesome cookbook.