My first year of teaching, I taught on an Indian Reservation. I was about 2 hours from my parents, but I might as well been on another planet. I was engaged to my husband, but his first job had moved him to Limon, Colorado. I really didn't want to give up the opportunity to teach, so I stayed in Nebraska and taught for a year. It was such a different experience than what I had been prepared for by my university and student teaching. I had a roommate who was also a first year teacher. The superintendent had put us in touch with each other; she taught first and I was second. We hit it off and have been the best of friends ever since. The only fast food in that town was Dairy Queen and it closed at the end of September. We didn't know it closed for the season and were so upset when we went there and found out it wouldn't be open again until April. We had to drive about 30 minutes away to get Hardees. We basically existed on baked potatoes with salsa and cheese, fruit, veggies, pasta, and Ragu sauce. We hardly ever ate meat, unless we went to Hardees or home.So today for lunch, I had a baked potato (cooked in the microwave) with cheese and salsa. It was so yummy. I topped it off with fresh watermelon. YUMMY!

No comments:
Post a Comment