Friday, November 7, 2008

No turkey trot for me:(

Next Saturday is the turkey trot - a 5K road race. I tore my left calf muscle and can't run it. It is perhaps one of the most painful experiences. I guess when I felt that first twinge in the calf, I should have listened to my body. It said stop, this hurts. But no, I just had to keep up the craziness and obsession and run to my hearts content. It didn't feel to bad when I was running. I just couldn't walk when I stopped.

Thanks to my friend Stacy and her google expertise, I was able to tell my doctor what I thought it was. He agreed and told me to kiss my treadmill goodbye for the next two weeks. I don't want to give him up! How will I survive without the daily excitement and joy of the run?!

The calf is just wrapped in an ordinary ace bandage. No crutches or other fancy things to get by with. I need to keep walking on it so it doesn't stiffen up and to watch for possible bloodclots. They run in my family. Bummer...

I am going out with my friends to a cajun restaurant to commiserate my sadness with spicy food and loud music. DH gets to take Hannah out to dinner and perhaps a movie. He's playing poker tomorrow night while I have a date with 10,000 papers and my gradebook.

4 comments:

Kristin said...

Oh Deirdre...that sounds miserable. Hope it heals quickly.

Kendra said...

Ah, another injured runner...mine's a stress fracture in my ankle that took me out back in August. I've been given the go-ahead from the orthopedic surgeon to ease back into running, but it's been very slow going. I do a combo of walking and jogging and I've worked up to being able to do a consecutive half mile of light jogging. I'm wanting to push myself and do more, but I don't want to re-injure myself, so I'm being really conservative with it. *sigh*

Velda said...

Take it easy girl of you'll make it worse and be off the 'mill longer! OMG Turkey trot...in grade 12 my friend and I dressed up as giant turkeys for our turkey trot. We cut cardboard tail and then covered it with feathers that we pulled out of feather dusters...and we wore roller skates..that's 'skates' NOT rollerblades. Yes I'm old lol

Meari said...

Awww, sorry to hear about your calf muscle. Ouchie.

I've tagged you. Check out my blog.