My daughter is in the sixth grade and this year she gets to participate in the science fair. She decided to be partners with Jill. Originally Kylie was in the group too, but when Jill joined Kyle fled. That should have been a sign to DD. This has turned into the nightmare project of my worst imaginings. I had Jill as a student last year, so I knew she was not always the most devoted of students. I had a few interactions that were not so positive with her parents in support of me and my expectations. I have been told I have high standards and expect too much. I used to be a middle school teacher, I know what's coming. I want to prepare my kiddos to be and do their best. After fifth grade, they always thank me for it. I've been told that sixth grade is a breeze because they know how to study.
I truly didn't realize how badly the project was going till Hannah had a melt down over the weekend about it. She had been going over there to work, little did I know that no parental supervision was going on and they were not "working" the way they would have if they were here with me. Hence the reason Jill wanted Hannah to come over there so much. After much drama between the girls and me with Jill's parents, they are still partners, and I am now in charge of the overall project. I should say, I am not a scientist. I like to see myself in the role of materials acquistion (shopping is a strength). Well and research and writing too, so Hannah is researching the history of band-aids, and I am surfing the library reserving books (another strength). Hannah seems relieved that I am now directing the shots. Jill is avoiding Hannah's phone calls. I gave Hannah the order to have Jill get 15 facts on band-aids. So far that has been a no go.
As a teacher, I do group projects, but most of the work is done at school under my heavy guidance. I want them to learn how to do it, and I know that from past experience, that the expectation that they work together outside of school does not always happen. Plus, I really am a control freak like most teachers. I admit I like control:)
My Dh and I don't care what Hannah's grade is, as long as it is her best effort. My child is not a scientist either. But she is a book worm and knows her way around researching once you give her direction.
Did I say it is due in 10 days or less? Ughh...
Wednesday, January 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment