Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Not a normal week...

This has not been a normal week for me this week. There has been a change in our schedule every day due to something. My students do NOT have good listening skills. I will say something and then one will raise their hand and ask what I just said. I write all assignments on the board and everyday one will ask and what is the assignment. My student with aspbergers is not handling the changes either. She has freaked out three times in two days. Poor kiddo:(

I have a helicopter parent this year too. She is also a TA at the school. Her darling is not so darling. He is not always truthful and does not listen. He is one of the ones who does not follow directions and gets in trouble. I went to my principal today and talked to him about her. He was shocked by what I said and also concerned that I was having conflicts with her. I usually do not have problems. I have a reputation for being fair and pretty even tempered. I have not felt even tempered this week. I am grouchy and I think it is because of the tension from her. My partner teachers are feeling the same way - because of her.

I was the biggest loser at bunco tonight. I won a $15 GC to Cheesecake Factory:) I could just go buy a cheesecake and eat it all myself.

I did the gym this morning and ran like a demon. It felt good to just get all my aggression out on the treadmill.

6 comments:

Kristin said...

{{{Hugs}}} Deirdre. It does not sound like a fun week.

Jennifer said...

I've been hearing more and more about helicopter parents, mostly how it's affecting younger employees in the workplace, but it doesn't surprise me that you're dealing with the same thing in school. I just don't know where any parent with an ounce of sense thinks it's appropriate to hover over their children like this. I understand the need to want to protect your child, but running to their "rescue" over every little thing? Craziness.

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. My best friend is a teacher and I know how frustrated she can get with some of her kids, and I know how one or two kids can completely throw off the dynamic of a classroom.

WendyCarole said...

I have come across parents like this and several have been TAs in school I have worked in. I hope your week improves and next week will be better.

Anonymous said...

Helicopter parents seem to be the in thing and it seems to me that its always the naughtiest children as well!! oh could you email me please with your address your pif is nearly ready but i cannot find an email address for you. thanksyou tammie.

Stephanie said...

I am so sorry that your year isn't off to a great start. I hope it gets better...maybe someone will withdraw, that seems to happen a lot where I teach.

Tammy said...

I've never heard of a helicopter parent before. That is a very strange situation!

I hope things settle down for you soon.