
Today I stitched my name for the Mother's Day Project. I am a cross stitcher, but have never really stitched anything else so I approached this a little nervously tonight. I decided to make it very colorful and chose a vibrant green, purple and pink. I was quite pleased with the way it turned out.
Before I s
tarted stitching, I researched this name of this faceless soldier. What I found, made me feel great awe for this woman, mother, wife, and soldier. Her name was Pamela G. Osbourne and she was a sergeant in the army. She came to the United States from Jamaica when she was fourteen. She had two dreams: became a citizen and join the military. She accomplished both. Pam joined the military in 2001, shortly before the terror attacks. She had two daughters and a devoted husband. The day she died, her husband cried out her name in his sleep. She could have gotten out of going to Iraq because of an unnamed medical condition, but she didn't. She went anyways. The day before she died she told her husband “Hold your head up, baby,” she said in their last conversation on Saturday morning. “I’m coming home. Even if I come home in a box, you should know that I did it for you. Take care of the kids. Stay strong. And remember that I love you.”
tarted stitching, I researched this name of this faceless soldier. What I found, made me feel great awe for this woman, mother, wife, and soldier. Her name was Pamela G. Osbourne and she was a sergeant in the army. She came to the United States from Jamaica when she was fourteen. She had two dreams: became a citizen and join the military. She accomplished both. Pam joined the military in 2001, shortly before the terror attacks. She had two daughters and a devoted husband. The day she died, her husband cried out her name in his sleep. She could have gotten out of going to Iraq because of an unnamed medical condition, but she didn't. She went anyways. The day before she died she told her husband “Hold your head up, baby,” she said in their last conversation on Saturday morning. “I’m coming home. Even if I come home in a box, you should know that I did it for you. Take care of the kids. Stay strong. And remember that I love you.”Reading just the tidbits about Pamela, made me get tears in my eyes. She is the example of what our country is made of and of the pride I have in the people I serve. While I have a hard time with this war and why we are there, I greatly respect the people who are over there and their families who are sacrificing so much.

1 comment:
Deirdre, I'm so happy to see you stitching a name for this worthwhile project. I haven't received mine yet but hope to soon. Your woman's story is sad and brave all at the same time. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Post a Comment